2014 Matias Pinot Noir Santa Lucia Highlands

2014 Matias Pinot Noir Santa Lucia Highlands

Regular price $ 144

Order Sample

Want a better deal?

Make an Offer

2014 Matias Pinot Noir Santa Lucia Highlands

Vineyard- The Sierra Mar Vineyard, owned and farmed by Gary Franscioni is one of the highest elevation vineyards in the Santa Lucia Highlands. The Santa Lucia and Gabilan Mountain Ranges surround the Salinas Valley and act like a conduit, directing the winds off the Pacific down the valley, cooling the region from warm inland temperatures. The afternoon winds deliver fog off the Monterey Bay, acting as a buffer and extending the growing season. The high elevation, thin soils and arid conditions produce wines of intense concentration. The Soberanes Vineyard is named for the family of the original Spanish land grant. It is situated on a small terrace adjacent to the famous Garys’ Vineyard. Planted in 2007, Soberanes has thirty-eight acres of Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Syrah. It has an Eastern exposure and sits on classic alluvial sandy loam soil.

Vintage- The 2014 vintage offered excellent growing conditions. A mild winter and spring compounded with almost no rain contributed to early ripening, low to moderate yields and highly concentrated grapes resulting in exceptional quality. 2014 is one the earliest vintages we’ve seen in over a decade, but it will also go down as one of the best.

Fermentation- 70% of the fruit was de-stemmed and moved by gravity to open top fermenters. The remaining 30% was left whole cluster and added to the top of the de-stemmed fruit. The tank was chilled to 50F for a nice, long cold soak to increase enzymatic extraction then allowed to warm on its own. The fermentation was indigenous as was malolactic. The tank was pressed off just before dryness to preserve fruit and minimize harsh alcoholic extraction, the wine was transferred immediately to barrel without settling for added mouthfeel and complexity. 

Harvest Date: August 18th, 2014

Winemakers: Dan Fitzgerald & John Harley

Cooperage & Aging: 100% French Oak, 40% new, aged on its lees for 10 months.

Bottling: August 2014

Production: 476 cases

Sensory Notes: This wine showcases a vibrant, reddish purple color in the glass. Elegant notes of violets, pomegranate and Asian spice dance on the nose. The palate is lush and silky with layers of huckleberry, baking spices and cedar. The finish is soft, lean and satisfyingly long.

Technical Information:
pH:
3.61
TA:
0.63 g/100ml
Alc:
13.6%

Ratings
92 pts - Wine Enthusiast
90 pts - The Wine Advocate
90 pts - Vinous, Josh Raynolds

SRP: $40 Bottle / $480 Case